8/11/14

living a better story



A year ago an envelope was placed in my hands with an offer to be the 7/8 Middle School Pastor at Mars Hill.  The moment was a little surreal. My husband and I had been long time Mars Hill fans (the Grand Rapids one...not the Driscoll one). We wanted to be a part of a church community championing freedom for the oppressed. We wanted a church which focused less on trying to "get people saved" and more on living the way of Jesus. More on being hope, being love, and announcing the arrival of His kingdom. I took the envelope. My husband and I did a lot of crying, praying, celebrating and reflected honestly on how hard it would be to live so far from family.  Leaving everything you know and love is not for wimps. 

I remember being in Grand Rapids a year ago with Tim waiting to cross the street to grab some dinner after our flight got delayed until the following day. We had a lot to think about. To my surprise, my husband burst out in tears at the thought of living away from the kids and I. He would have to stay behind to sell the house and finish his semester of teaching. We had no idea how long it would take to sell the house and find him a job in Grand Rapids.  Reality began to sink in. We were both pretty emotional with a lot of happy-sad feelings hitting us all at once.  If we accepted the job, I would start in less than a month. A lot of change was happening really fast. 

A few days later we officially said "yes" and called our realtor to put our expensive Southern California townhouse on the market.  A little over 3 weeks later I was on staff at Mars Hill.  A month after that, I was alone on an airplane with 3 kids taking a red-eye to begin our new life in Michigan. My husband would join us three months later. It felt like an eternity but have a lot of fun stories to tell from those three months! 

It hasn't always been easy, but it's been a worthwhile and joyous adventure.  A story of change, growth, hope, new beginnings, new friends, and summer of fun exploring all things #puremichigan. And really, what makes a better story? The one where everything stays the same, or the one where you took a risk, moved forward in faith, and followed God into something new?  


My notes from last Sunday's teaching...exactly why we love this place!!

"Without an inciting incident that disrupts their comfort, they won’t enter into a story. They have to get fired from their job or be forced to sign up for a marathon. A ring has to be purchased. A home has to be sold. The character has to jump into the story, into the discomfort and the fear, otherwise the story will never happen.” 
― Donald MillerA Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life

and yes...sometimes I cry because I miss seeing my momma, my grandma and my next door neighbor! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Join the conversation by adding a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...