11/26/14

Teaching the [Protestant] Sacraments


Ok so first A Communion Gone Wrong Story [I love hearing and sharing funny church mishaps...proves we are all human!]

My husband and I recently helped to serve communion during the 9am Gathering at our church. As we stepped up to the grab the juice and bread, we noticed all of the wine goblets were empty. Our side of the stage, for some reason had gotten over looked and there was no juice. None. Every Goblet on the communion table was empty. My husband Tim sprung into action and walked to the other side of the platform and took some juice from another wine goblet. He poured half of his into my cup and we made do. I prayed for a miracle, hoping we had enough for our side of the room. And we did. We had just enough and we made sure all of the goblets got filled for the 11am service.

I was thinking about communion later that week as I was browsing through my Twitter feed. Yes, pastors think about communion, especially when there is the occasional communion faux pas.  I came across this article about a homeless man who posted this ad:

"I was very alone last Thanksgiving and really would not like to go throughout that this Thanksgiving… PLEASE, if you have room in your home and in your heart to share your Thanksgiving, I not only (would) be thankful, but would also consider myself blessed to spend this time with you."

The heart wrenching article reminded me of the Sacrament of Communion and Baptism we recently taught about here in our middle school ministry. Significant moments in our life, in our faith, and in our families are best celebrated TOGETHER. Who wants to celebrate their birthday all alone?
Birthday parties, weddings, funerals, and thanksgiving dinners are sacred gatherings. These are moments where we reflect, celebrate, and join together to remember or acknowledge significant people and events in our lives. 

When we gather at the Lord's table for communion, or decide to get baptized, these are precious sacraments we do not practice alone in secret. We do them in community. We gather together to remember, reflect and respond to the Good News of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ.

My communion/baptism lesson was a simple and basic overview to be unpacked further during small groups. I also sent a follow up email to parents to guide [and encourage] them discuss these important faith practices further with their son or daughter.  


Want a FREEBIE? Here is
A Copy of My Small Group Discussion Guide for Middle School LifeGroups about Communion and Baptism. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Join the conversation by adding a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...